How to paint an interior door – practical tips and over 100 inspiring ideas
The big trends in interior design have already been unveiled. On the program: the colorful entrance doors that are true decorative elements. And if we decided to give a touch of paint to our interior doors to add character to our living spaces? No more sad doors that only served to separate the rooms. They are growing in importance and want to be more and more original. You are curious to know how to paint a door like a pro but also how to have fun with the colors to change the atmosphere in your interior or put it in values? Discover our practical tips and inspirational ideas.
How to paint a door – practical tips and inspiring projects
How to paint an interior door according to type of surface
Materials and instruments needed:
- a screwdriver
- protective cloth, plastic film to cover the floor
- abrasive sponge medium grain
- clean cloth
- painter’s brush
- paint roll 10 cm
- rubber glue
To paint a flat door, follow these instructions:
- Unpack the door. If you decide to paint the door without disassembling it, first rub the hinges with a cloth soaked in alcohol, then apply two coats of rubber glue (you can remove the adhesive after the work). Remove the handles, locks, and any hardware.
- Prepare the support. Degrease and clean. Use a medium grit sponge to sand the surface and dust off. You want to get as smooth and even a surface as possible, cleaned from the old paint.
- Start by painting the inner side edge with a narrow brush.
- Apply two or three coats of paint with vertical rolls on the entire surface of the door. Smooth the paint by rolling it one last time from bottom to top. Let dry.
Paint a flat door in three easy steps
To paint a panel door:
- Disassemble any hardware store. Sand the surface of the door. Use a sanding block that will allow you to work more easily the edges and corners of the panels. Once the surface is smooth, dust off and clean with a slightly damp sponge.
- Start by applying paint to the moldings of the top panels with a paintbrush. Then paint the panels themselves using the roller before going to the panels from below.
- Paint the center part from the bottom of each center pillar. Working from top to bottom, apply paint on the crosspieces (horizontal sections). Finally, paint the outside amounts.
- Allow to dry and lightly sand the painted surface before applying the second coat of paint. When the paint is already dry, attach the hardware and mount the door.
How to paint a panel door
Revamp an interior door by creating geometric patterns in painting
- semi-gloss paint of two different colors (Behr, rainwater color P450-3 and Japanime P340-5)
- 3 rolls of paint
- paint tray
- flat brush
- masking tape
- meter and pencil
- Apply a coat of primer over the entire surface of the door.
- Divide the door into two parts. Determine the center point using the meter and mark a line in pencil. If you want to separate the door into two equal parts, draw the diagonal through the center point.
- Paint one of the parts starting at the corners and edges (in case of a panel door). Use a sponge brush for these details, then paint the rest with a roller. Let dry, then apply a second coat of paint, if necessary.
- To mark the line of separation, lay the strip of paint following the line drawn in pencil. Smooth the ribbon with your finger so that it adheres well.
- Repeat step 3 for the other part of the door.
- Remove the masking tape once the paint is dry and then assemble the door.
A two-tone door to bring dynamism to an interior
Tips for repainting a door without breaking it
Original door frame with oriental motif made in stencil
Splashes of color vitamins in the corridor in white
Entrance door coral color
A door green color of water to breathe a holiday air in our living spaces
World map wallpaper accent wall and yellow door to wake up a white baby room
An allusion to nature with a green fir door and a herbarium poster
Bathroom door with moldings and contrasting frame
A green painting frame that highlights the white door
Graphic pattern with paint
Touch of sunny color in this Scandinavian apartment in black and white
Colored blocks to energize the interior
A sliding barn door updated with a few strokes of paint
Peach pink molded door with contrasting frame
An anthracite gray door that is a decorative accent
Colored bands around the door and window energize the white interior
Touch of neon yellow in the white kitchen
Door frame painted the same color as baseboards
Dare black on baseboards, frames and moldings
Mint color door to water
Nuances of the green of water to bring softness in our white interiors
The basement painting continues on the door
Colorful geometric patterns for a cheerful and contemporary atmosphere
Geometric drawing made using a tape marking
Entrance hall with graphic accents
Green fir door that blends into the modern living room decor
White hallway with pop accents
How to paint a door to make it a decorative element?
Sunny cuisine with colorful accents
Chic rustic lobby in purple and soft pink where the wooden door takes on color to make a chic accent
Change the atmosphere in the laundry room by painting the door in pink
Interior door with vintage look
The barn wood door is getting color and modernizing
How to paint a barn door to give it a modern look
White stripes on a gray sliding door with black rail
Dark wood paneling that gives an elegant look to this chic country lounge
The gray on our doors is not always gray mine
The yellow door is tending
Sliding barn door that contrasts with white walls and black honeycomb tile
The colors are inviting on the walls and the door of this apartment of Scandinavian spirit
Pink studded door with a vintage and modern look
Contrast and color games
Contrasting antique doors that are a nice vintage accent in this design lounge
Both sides of the door have been painted in different colors to match the decor of both spaces
A touch of sweetness in the bedroom with a sweet pink door
The green plants and the neon yellow sliding door bring serenity and freshness to this salon
Elegant and serene master bedroom where the night blue sliding door is a real decorative element apart
To soften the contrast of the furniture, we paint the door in gray
Slate paint door that makes the difference in this Scandinavian vintage entrance
The classic black and white duo
Sunny color touch in the sleek bohemian chic interior
An unexpected combination of patterns and colors in the bathroom
The closet door also takes on color
Easy makeover project: painting and decorating a door with moldings