Make an original bedside table – 45 practical ideas
The bedside table is a crucial piece in the bedroom. If you are tired of traditional bedside tables and you want to create a playful spirit in your room, we reassure you right away. The ideas for an original bedside table are not lacking and the pieces we are going to show you here are more than cool. The first reason to install such a piece of furniture in your room is of course related to its practical function. But with the wide variety of styles available to decorate, each piece of furniture also has a function of personalizing the space. Recycled furniture such as cupboards, drawers, stools or small tables can act as an original bedside table. And it’s not just about furniture – vintage suitcases , tree trunks, reels and reels, bricks and even stacked books are materials for creating an original bedside table.
An easy idea, to achieve quickly with three wooden boxes, two larger and a small
- three crates light wooden boxes – two medium and one small
- two brushes – a fine and a medium
- ALP paints
- We first sand the boxes, because we will paint their bottom. Sand with sandpaper and wipe with a damp cloth to remove any burrs.
- Adhere the tape to all four sides of the crate to prevent paint overflows.
- Carefully paint the edges with a fine paintbrush. Then paint the bottom of the box with a white ALP paint. ALP paint is very practical, it does not require varnish and it is removed with water.
- Once the paint has dried, remove the adhesive tape and draw the Nordic crosses in attractive colors. Here we used gray and yellow paint, mixed with a little white.
- Also paint the edges, if you wish, paste an original sticker, as on the second picture and arrange the boxes, so that they form a piece of furniture (see below).
The original bedside table in wooden boxes will be the star in your room
Small painted and decorated boxes serve as materials for your original bedside table
Mid century bedside table to do it yourself
- 4 plywood panels – 2 plywood panels 15 x 45cm for the side pieces and two 45 x 45cm (x2) for the top and bottom.
- industrial table legs
- wood glue
- a drill
- a hammer
- Attach the side panels to the base panel by applying glue to wood where the panels will meet and secure with a few nails.
- Glue the top panel to the other panels. If it is not intended to support a large weight, the glue will be sufficient to fix it.
- Screw in the feet using the drill.
- Apply a layer of clear varnish and that’s it! You have an original bedside table in industrial mid century style.
Make an original bedside table from wooden planks
Stitch the boards, stick them to each other
You can use nails to stabilize your bedside table
Screw on your feet and that’s it!
A bedside table design made with simple materials
There are plenty of objects that can turn into creative bedside. The old dusty furniture of the attic that you thought was useless, the ladders, the boxes, the crates of mineral water … They all hide their practical potential and they will put a unique stamp on your space. We often see dramatic transformations in the interiors through a single piece of furniture or an interesting piece put in the exact place. If you do the revision of your objects and your old rooms of arrangement, you will understand quickly that to bring an original bedside table is possible, in addition without giving a penny! And your space will be illuminated by the singular charm of the room used. When we put on a standard equipment of the room, we risk getting too uniform a decor and poor in textures and patterns. But if you take an object that is absolutely different from the rest of the interior and you install it, you can make an aesthetic revolution!
Here are some fun ideas that will inspire you to search the attic for pieces that are worthy of becoming an original bedside table or will be after a few small transformations.
- one or a few boxes made of wood or plastic – left untreated, painted or covered with wallpaper or textile
- a drum
- an embellished console with cutting technique or refreshed with paints
- a stool
- a vintage chair
- a barrel of wine
- a vintage suitcase
- an antique vase turned upside down
- a floating bedside made with a tablet, a drawer
Bedside table with tambour and white masking tape
- Take a simple drum like the one shown in the pictures below
- Paint it all in white
- Cut a large number of bands from the masking tape but a length that exceeds a little the height of the drum
- Secure the strips by sticking their ends as shown below, using thumbtacks
- Take one last piece of tape and roll it well and more than once around the center of the drum
A simple painted and decorated drum becomes a very chic design bedside table
It’s very important to choose the right colors for your interior
The end result is a stylish, aesthetically pleasing bedside table
How to make an original bedside table from a beverage case
- a wooden cut of 20 x 30 cm
- 2 square beams 11 cm long and 3 cm wide
- 4 round logs, 10 cm long and 5 mm in diameter
- a screw pencil
- a wood glue
- a screwdriver long enough
- a drill with thin drills
The steps to follow
- The first step is to thoroughly clean the box with cleaning agents.
- The second thing to do is to drill holes in the center of the logs, but make sure the holes are smaller than the screws.
- Then place the logs under the top of the box so that the holes are closer to the openings.
- Place the washers on top and screw with a long screwdriver.
- Now glue the board, using the two wooden beams and let it dry.
A bedside table made of stacked vintage suitcases. This type of furniture will give character to your interior
A simple idea with great effect – two crates painted in lilac and attached. A very nice storage space
A floating bedside for boho chic fans
A low bedside decorated with an elephant- shaped flowerpot
A charming nightstand with copper feet
A clever use of bricks
If you appreciate the nature spirit in your home
An industrial chair turned into a night table
Here is an ingenious idea! A white drum used as a bedside table
Vintage furniture on a swivel base
Give new life to your old furniture!
A pastel blue scale as bedside, harmonized with the color of the wallpaper
A decorative barrel bedside
Having a bar with cool drinks by the bed – that’s a really cool idea!
A bedside table suitable for male interiors
A super stylish result that you can achieve with two boxes or two cases